July 1, 2013

Sewing For My Boy: A Peek at Quilt #2

I finished the quilt top for my second baby boy quilt this week (using precut squares really speeds things up!) Since he will already have two traditional quilts, the one I made and the one my mom will make, I decided to leave out the batting and use minkee instead of quilting cotton for the backing. I love quilts, but they're not super cozy. I wanted something more lightweight that I could wrap baby boy up in, so I think the minkee will be perfect. I bought some in dark gray, and will bind the quilt with red cotton.
 
In case you don't know what minkee is, it's this super soft fabric with raised dots on it that's often used for baby blankets. I have to admit that I haven't always been a fan of it, but it is amazingly soft and kids usually love the way it feels. 
 
I'm a little nervous to quilt it since minkee can be slippery and difficult to work with, so hopefully that won't make me put it off for too long (I only have 6 weeks left!) I did buy some basting spray to use to keep the top and backing together when quilting, so that should help. Wish me luck!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment