August 15, 2014

Lincoln's Superhero 1st Birthday Party

Mollie and I were talking about birthdays and she said that she didn't remember the Hungry Caterpillar themed birthday party we had for her 3rd birthday. So yesterday the girls and I went through our blog and looked through pictures and read about their past birthday parties! It reminded me of why I have this blog and motivated me to keep it up. So before I forget about it, here are some details from Lincoln's 1st birthday party.

If you know about Lincoln's heart condition and the things he's been through this year, you'll know that reaching his 1st birthday is cause for celebration!! We wanted his birthday to be as special as he is, and we decided on a superhero theme. There are so many awesome ideas on the web, thanks to Pinterest and a lot of creative moms, and it was a lot of fun to plan and put together everything for this party. 

Below is Lincoln's birthday cake, made by Skye Pletcher of Legacy Cakes. We used Icing Smiles, an amazing organization that "provides custom celebration cakes and other treats to families impacted by the critical illness of a child." We love the way it turned out and are so thankful for organizations like this, and bakers like Skye who volunteer their time and talent.


I found Lincoln's adorable shirt on clearance at Zara, and the girls' at Walmart.



Another shot of our beautiful cake. In the background you can see some framed pictures of 'Super Lincoln' that I'll share soon. You can also see the city backdrop that Stu made. He volunteered to make the city, and as always, he went above and beyond. It's wooden and each piece is hinged together.

I had fun making these layered jello jigglers. It took some time, but I love the way they turned out. I decoupaged comic book pages onto a paper mache letter 'L' from Joann's. Who knew it was so hard to find comic books?! I looked in Walmart and the grocery store with no luck. My dad ended up finding some for me in an antique store.



I made the hanging medallions out of tissue paper and comic book pages, and the banners out of comic book fabric I found at Joann's.

I ordered foam superhero masks and foam stickers from Etsy, so that the kids could create their own superheros! 

I didn't expect them to be a hit with the adults too, or I would have ordered more!


Mollie was taking her character as "Super Mollie" very seriously..


Lincoln wasn't in to opening presents for long, but he got some great new toys that all three of the kids have been enjoying, and also some adorable clothes.




We held Lincoln's party in a park right next to a swampy pond. There was lots of frog catching going on! I have never seen a tinier frog!!






Finally time to cut that cake!

Singing "Happy Birthday"..



We gave Lincoln the fondant emblem from the cake.





Burning off some energy as the party winds down..

It was a great party, but this about sums up how everyone was feeling by the end of the night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment