April 6, 2012

Homemade Easter: Easter Bunny Softies

Last year, I made Mollie a stuffed Easter bunny using this pattern (I blogged about it here). I thought it would be a fun tradition to make Mollie, and now Delia, a new bunny each year. There are a lot of free tutorials, and some patterns that you can buy out there for bunny softies, and I decided two different ones this year.

This first one is Delia's, and I used this Martha Stewart pattern and tutorial. It was super simple, and I love the way the ears are folded. I got all done sewing it, and had turned it right side out, getting ready to stuff it when I realized I hadn't stuffed the arms! I decided to just leave them flat, and I don't think it looks too bad. 
 I made this over a week ago, and was dreading embroidering the face, so I kept putting it off until today. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to embroidery, but I looked at some other stuffed bunnies for inspiration, and decided to keep it really simple. I just did two french knots for the eyes (my first time, and way easier than I thought!), a satin stitched nose, and a tiny little mouth with just two straight stitches. I probably should have done the nose/mouth in the same brown as the eyes since it kind of blends in with the flowers on the fabric.. but I don't think Delia will mind!
 And this funny little bunny is Mollie's..
 I didn't use a pattern for this one, but it was heavily inspired by this pattern that you can buy. I did the ears just like Delia's bunny, and gave it the same face. The cool thing about making stuffed animals or dolls, is that you don't really need a pattern, and even if you do use a pattern, they are so easy to customize!

No comments:

Post a Comment