July 19, 2014

Sewing For My Boy: Oliver & S Bucket Hat

I've learned that you have to get a little more creative when it comes to sewing for boys. It's not as easy as turning a rectangle of fabric into a twirly skirt, and there aren't nearly as many patterns out there, but that doesn't mean that it's any less fun! I would almost argue that it's more fun, but maybe that's because I've been sewing for girls for going on 5 years ;)

Anyway, accessories for boys are the way to go, in my opinion: shoes, hats, bibs, ties, bowties, suspenders, etc. This free bucket hat pattern by Oliver & S is something I knew I would sew for Lincoln. I've used the pattern once before and it was an even quicker sew this time. The part that takes the longest is cutting out all of the pieces! I remember the sizing seemed a little small, so I made the next size up this time. It actually fits Dede perfectly right now, so Lincoln will get at least another summer or two out of it! Which is good, because he won't leave it on for more than one minute. The only thing I would have done differently was to add interfacing. I used two home decor weight canvas-y fabrics, so I thought it would be sturdy enough, but the brim is a little too floppy for my liking. Oh well, he still makes it look good :)



No comments:

Post a Comment